Shopping Ban: Take 2
Last fall I made my first attempt at a shopping ban and it didn’t go well at all. I gave in nearly before I’d even started. After a lot of self-reflection, budget evaluation, and impending life changes, I’ve decided to give a shopping ban another go – from now until the end of 2015.
Earlier this year I decided to try a capsule wardrobe experiment and so far, I’m loving it! When I created my first capsule wardrobe for this summer I didn’t buy anything to complete my wardrobe. I also didn’t do any shopping for the 3 months I’ve been on the capsule wardrobe as I’m limited to sticking to my 38 items.
When I started my summer capsule I knew I wanted to try this experiment for at least a year before deciding if it was for me or not and so I could see if it really helped me curb my shopping and spending. This means I still have to complete at 3 month fall capsule wardrobe, a 3 month winter capsule wardrobe, and a 3 month spring capsule wardrobe before my year is up.
I’m up for the challenge, but I knew I’d need to buy a couple of things to create my fall capsule wardrobe. For example, I’ve worn my brown riding boots nearly through the sole. Because I have such a hard time finding boots to fit my legs properly, I’m going to look for a new pair when the fall stuff hits stores this year rather than waiting until my pair is worn completely through the sole.
Anyhow, I think this capsule wardrobe experiment will aide me in my second attempt at a shopping ban. I plan to begin my shopping ban right away, with the exception of a couple items listed below.
Here’s What I’m NOT Allowed to Buy:
- Clothes, Shoes, and Accessories – I plan to make my winter capsule wardrobe out of items I already own. If I feel that I need to buy something for my capsule, I will seek your opinions first.
- Beauty Products – I can only buy something if I run out.
- Books, Magazines, etc. – The only book allowed is if my book club’s selection is not available at the library.
- Candles, Scentsy, etc.
Basically, I’m not going to be buying anything except the necessities. If I feel an exception needs to be made for a non-emergency, I will seek your opinions first.
Exceptions to the Shopping Ban:
- Brown riding boots – If I can find a pair I like and that fits well, I’m going to buy them.
- Black leather leggings – ?? Maybe. I’ve wanted a pair for years and my black leggings are wearing thin. I might get a pair for winter. If so, this will be the only purchase for my winter capsule wardrobe.
- 1 Piece of Jewelry at my friend T’s party. Are you reading this T? You made the exception list 🙂
- Gifts for others.
Will you be attempting a shopping ban? Join in with me and we can keep each other accountable!
Latest posts by Kayla (see all)
- November 2016 Budget and Debt Results - December 5, 2016
- Online Income: $7,369 in October 2016 + My Thoughts on Job Boards - November 28, 2016
- How NOT to Save for Christmas - November 21, 2016