March 2015 Results
If you thought last month’s budget looked crazy, this ones going to be even worse. 🙁 It’s not that I did horrible with spending (ok, I did in some areas), but I had some carryover money from my 2014 year-end bonus, plus I ended up with some extra money from taxes too (more on that later).
Extra money is always a good thing, but it’s hard to account for it and track it in my monthly budget when there’s such a huge carryover in my account from month to month. I like having extra money, but it’ll be nice once all the bills are in and I can put the remaining funds toward debt and savings so my account and budgets look a little cleaner again.
March was super crazy and I’m not even sure how I feel about it yet. I did okay with most of my goals, but I did have a couple of failures this month too.
- Increase emergency fund savings account to $1,500. – Pass – I increased my emergency fund by $72.37 in March. This is just shy of my monthly target of $83.33. Luckily, I am still on track for the year due to the extra I saved in February.
- Demolish $5,000 worth of debt (principal). This works out to $416.67/month. ($5,000 goal includes mortgage debt pay down.) – Pass – I paid down $833.61 (including my mortgage), which puts me $1,057.52 ahead of schedule when combined with the overpayments I made in January and February. I have paid off almost half of my yearly goal already, at $2,307.60.
- This also includes paying off my 0% interest promotion for my computer by October 2015.
- Paint and prep home office by April 13. (My birthday!) MUST BE USABLE BY THIS TIME! – Pass – It’s still not quite complete. I got my blind in March and have hung it up. Now I just need to paint and rehang the closet doors and make a decorative curtain.
- Attend FinCon15 and pay for everything in cash! – Pass – I continued to save money for my trip to FinCon15 and I have my ticket purchased and a room reserved. I have enough saved up to pay for my round-trip flight which I will be booking soon.
- Quit my full-time job by December 31,2015 to freelance full-time. (I may pick up some additional hours at my part-time job to help make ends meet for a while.) – Pass-ish? – I guess this is a pass since I’m still working hard on freelancing and putting money toward debt and savings.
- Limit spending on clothing, shoes, and accessories to $500 for the whole year! – Fail – I’ve spent $521.31 on clothes, shoes, and accessories this year. I will try to have a post about my plan for this soon.
- Get rid of more books throughout the year than I get. – Pass-ish? – I didn’t get rid of any books in March, but I have an entire box with books that I’m going to be getting rid of soon. I did get three new books given to me in March.
2/28/2015 – $132,332.61 (including mortgage)
$16,514.46 (w/o mortgage)
3/31/2015 – $131,498.94 (including mortgage)
$15,895.46 (w/o mortgage)
Difference – -$833.67 including mortgage
-$618.99 w/o mortgage
2/28/2015 – $664.00
3/31/2015 – $736.37
Difference – $72.37 Increase
|Category||Budgeted Amount||Actual||Difference||Carry Over Cash|
|Clothes and Hair||$80.00||$386.74||$-306.74||$0.00|
|FT Job Bonus and Taxes||$0.00||$2,096.87||$2,096.87||$0.00|
My budget looks a little crazy again this month as I got some extra money from taxes and I also had some of my bonus money left over to spend too. I am hoping to put a big chunk of this $1,800 toward necessary things like home repairs and the remaining will go toward debt or savings. I am waiting on a couple of bills to come in for home repairs that I hired done (HVAC stuff) so we’ll see how that turns out.
Like always, I went over in my personal/entertainment category and in my clothes and hair category. I also overspent my $500 annual limit for clothes this month. 🙁 I have some ideas of what to do about that and I’ll try to fill you in on my plans soon.
On the positive side, I put extra in my savings account and put extra toward debt, which resulted in me paying off another credit card in March! Woot!
How did your March 2015 results turn out?
Latest posts by Kayla (see all)
- The Truth About Why You’re Broke - February 21, 2017
- Online Income: $9,882 in January 2017 + How I Make Money With Advertising - February 13, 2017
- January 2017 Budget and Debt Results - February 6, 2017