As you know, I’ve changed my posting schedule and done away with my Thing Thursday series, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to stop my mission of decluttering my life and my home.
I’ve been reading decluttering blogs and PF blogs both for almost a year now and just by reading, I’ve learned a lot and I was also inspired to start my own blog to track my journey to a debt and clutter free life.
While I still have a long way to go on both of my major goals, I’ve learned so much more about myself already and I’ve had some amazing comments from readers saying they were inspired to start following along and decluttering their own homes as well. 🙂
For those of you who are just starting to declutter, or even those of you who have been decluttering the “easy stuff” first, here are the questions I use when I contemplate whether or not to declutter something: (inspired by Colleen @ 365 Less Things)
- Is this item something I currently use?
- If not, have I used it in the past year and will I use it again within the next year?
- Is this item beautiful or do I love having it in my space?
- Do I want to move and dust this item each time I clean my home?
- Why am I keeping this item?
- If it’s sentimental, do I truly need it or will a photo suffice?
- If this item was taken away from me today, would I miss it? Would I even notice if it were missing?
- Do I want to pack, move, and unpack this item when I move?
Colleen has many other examples and questions in her guide, and I also recently found this awesome step-by-step guide to decluttering that I love too, but these are the few I’ve chosen to use when making my own decluttering decisions. The main key to using this or any decluttering decision guide is to be honest with yourself about why you are keeping the item and what purpose it serves. Try not to make excuses or far-fetched reasons for keeping it. I often find that the items I was keeping “just in case” haven’t been used even once since the last time I looked at decluttering them. At this point I usually decide they can go!
What questions do you ask as part of your decluttering decision?
Latest posts by Kayla (see all)
- November 2016 Budget and Debt Results - December 5, 2016
- Online Income: $7,369 in October 2016 + My Thoughts on Job Boards - November 28, 2016
- How NOT to Save for Christmas - November 21, 2016